Friday, November 9, 2012

Good Week

Well it has been a good week.  I have been doing alot of relaxing this week, which has been good for me.  I have been working on overdrive for way to long and some down time is needed.
I am still adjusting to the new things that life has thrown my way but I am getting there and learning to adjust to these new things. I need to work on "Linda" now.
I know that most of you who read my journal know that my husband worked out of state for a long time.  He worked for 9 months in Ohio, where he was able to come home almost every weekend, and then he was sent to North Carolina.  That was much more challenging since he was unable to commute with any regulararity. He was there for 15 months.  We did alot of traveling in those months.  I know there are women out there ( and men too) who have spouses in the service who have it much harder than I did (not able to see thier spouse at all, but it was difficult.  At some point in all of this my boss was asked to step down from his position at work.  I was aksed to serve as the "interim mananger" at that point.  I was unsure that I was qualified for this position but I thought it would be short term so I agreed. I held that position for two years............yes two years.  In that time I recieved two reviews that were excellent.  I am not saying this to pat myself on the back, just simply that they were excellent reviews and it made it difficult for me to understand what was to follow.
I was told that they were going to be posting for a new manager but not told when they were going to do it and when they did post for the position I was not told by any superior of mine. I was told by others though.  The position was posted in such a fashion that I was unable to apply for it due to the fact that they made a degree higher than I obtained a requirement of the job.  Never mind the fact that I had been doing the job, without the degree, for two years, and doing it with a perfect evaluatlion for two years.  A new person was appointed to the position.  I really do like this person, she has the degree that was required, but she does not have the experience in the department I work in, in fact she has never done the job of the staff that reports to her.  I have struggled with watching the staff that I managed for two years become angry and bitter with the changes that are being made.  There have been more grievances in the past 6 months then there have been in years.  I know changes need to be made but feel that they are being forced on the staff to quickly.  At this point they seem to be just rebelling and not being productive.  I am struggling with what I know the staff is feeling and what management is feeling and want change but know that forcing it on them to quickly and forcefully is not the way to go about it either.  I am trying to stay in my boundaries of supervisor and let her be manager but it is hard.  I feel as if I am abandoning the staff when they have had so much faith in me.  They have told thier union that they want me back in the position but I know that I am not qualified, degree wise, to be in that position.  So I am focusing on me.  Trying to give myself the time  need to think about how to fix this situation.  I know I have skimmed over alot and I am sure that many have seen this type of thing happen alot.   I just don't know how to be the person that is in the middle that can bring it all together, I want to,  I just don't know how.  Any advice?
So the men are all home working in areas they can commute to daily and I am thankful for that.  We are all on shifts that do not seem to connect but we are all here at the house at some point, daily. I speak to my husband on the phone every morning and every afternoon, he is on is way home and I am on my way to work or I am on my way to work and he is on his way home but............lol we are both driving!!  Life is difficult.
On a brighter note, Aiden is  here staying the night with Grandma and I love it.  Tomorrow we must go find hin a suit.  His Daddy (my son) is getting married on December 1st, and we are all traveling to Vegas for the wedding.  Aiden is so excited.  So am I. 
The next thing on my agenda is getting to the gym and losing 40 pounds.  Any words of inspiration?

2 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

My but you have had a lot of changes there. It's wonderful to hear that you have a wedding in the very near future and that at least your hubby is now working closer to home. About the best thing I know of as far as work goes is to do your own job the best you can. I know if I lost 40 pounds it would be a good thing, but I've no desire to diet ever again. So no inspirations from me on that. Hope you enjoy your Saturday shopping with your grandson!

Ken Riches said...

I would suggest you talk to the new manager, and offer to help in any way you can. Perhaps you can be a continuous improvement facilitator or something.