Friday, October 24, 2008










I didn't want to go to Alcatraz but everyone else did so I went along. I LOVED it! I was so into the tour and everything there. The tour was great. I really did not know anything about Alcatraz before I went on the tour. It was an audio tour. We walked around all the different parts of the island but the best was the acutal cell block. The audio had some acutal inmates on it. They spoke about the different things that went on at Alcatraz. There was one part where one of the ex inmates spoke about one of the escape attempts. Life in Alcatraz was brutal. There was an ex inmate there on the island the day that we were there. He had written a book about his time at Alcatraz. I bought the book and he signed it for me. Lyndsay read the book on the airplane on the way home so I have not had a chance to read it yet, but it is next on my list. ( I know, I know, I wasn't supposed to buy anymore books till I had finished the one's I already have!)
The pictures that are on the top of the page are taken at Alcatraz. One is a cell and one is of the apartments where the employees and thier families lived. I had no idea that entire families lived on Alcatraz while the prisioners were there. The children rode a ferry into San Francisco each day to school. Some days there would be inmates on the ferry home with them! Can you imagine? The other picture is a picture of Brenda and I on the boat on the way over to the island. It was great.
I need to figure out how to arrange pictures in my posts so they aren't all at the top. I will add more entries about my vacation and the marathon.








15 comments:

Lippy said...

Oh I'm so glad you moved over to Blogger. I woulda missed ya too much!

Good to see you.

Ken Riches said...

I lived there for five years and never went to the Island. However, Beth and I went there about four years ago and took the tour, it was great. Glad you had a good experience.

Tawnya said...

That is way cool!!! I like the pictures!! A lot...

Emmi said...

awesome. I didn't know that about the families either.

Christy said...

If I ever visit SF (doubtful though) the one place I would like to go to is Alcatrez, because of the history.

As for the pictures, you just drag them down to where you want them.

Beth said...

Linda, I don't like to say this...but I TOLD you Alcatraz was a must-visit!! It's one of the neatest places we've been, and I loved learning about the history of the place. I bought a big book about it, and I enjoyed getting a little more in depth with the history. Fascinating stuff!

I think someone else pointed out that for the pictures, just click on them, then drag them to where you want them in your text. When you upload them, you can decided if you want the picture on the left, the right, or in the center.

Have a great weekend!

Hugs, Beth

Teresa said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful time and I am glad that you did. Alcatraz is extremely haunted ~ didya know that? I'd hate to be there at night. I'm happy the marathon went well for you also. Blessings* Teresa

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It sounds like you had fun and enjoyed the trip. 'On Ya'-ma

Chris/cacklinrosie101 said...

I'd love to see Alcatraz. I know my 25 year old son would. He watches everything he can see about it but I never knew the families all lived there. I wonder if the kids were teased at school? Glad you had a good trip and are back safe and sound..HUGS

Linda said...

I'm so envious...I'd love to see Alcatraz!! It sounds like you had a great time, and the picture of you is sooooo good :)

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Dawn said...

It sounds and looks like you had an amazing trip! I am jealous! Not of the running part though! LOL

be well...

Holly said...

I'm so jealous! My BA is in Criminal Justice and I've always wanted to tour Alcatrez!!!

That's so cool!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had fun in No. Cal. It is a very beautiful place to visit. Have a good weekend beautiful.

betty said...

I love the picture of you on top of your journal! that's a neat one!

my hubby/son toured Alcatraz a few years ago; they thought it was fascinating too

glad you enjoyed your visit there; great pictures!

betty

Laura said...

My kids go to Alcatraz for a field trip. It is really a great tour, I agree! I always try to get picked to go on the good field trips!
L