Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Interesting....


I was just reading on line about the discrepancy in the winner of the marathon that I just ran. This is what happened. The "elite" runners start 20 minutes before the rest of the runners start. (us slow regular ones!) The elites started at 6:40am and the rest of us started at 7:00am. Sometimes it takes half an hour to get all the runners across the start line. The clock starts right at the gun shot at 7am but the chip on your shoe does not start until you cross the finish line. So your acutal run time may not be the same as what the clock says, depending on how long it takes you to get to the start line. Did that make any sense? I hope so.
Well anyways, the first woman to cross the finish line was one of the elites and her time was 3 hours and 6 minutes. Now one of the regular runners who started 20 minutes later completed the marathon in 2 hours and 55 minutes. Although the elite runner crossed the line first because she started 20 minutes earlier, the other girl finished in a faster time. Who do you think they made the winner of the marathon??

11 comments:

Dawn said...

Well, I don't know who they 'named' the runner, but the winner is the 2:55 and SHE is now an elite runner to me!!!!

Beth said...

I think I heard about this, but I didn't realize it was in your marathon! Didn't they give it to the "non-elite" runner?

Beth

Emmi said...

That's a bunch of malarky. The shortest timed run is the winner.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

The runner with the shortest time I hope.

Christy said...

I'm guessing they awarded the elite runner, but it should be the one with the faster time.

Ken Riches said...

I hope that it would be the one with the shortest time, but most likely it is the elite runner that they entice to come to the event. May they become elite and get paid to attend next time :o)

Missie said...

I think the woman with the fastest time should win!

Allison said...

I believe in fairness, the best time to me is the winner whether or not they were in the pool of elites. Maybe this person will be invited back to run with the elites next time. Have a happy tomorrow. Luv ya!

Anonymous said...

The one with the best time should be the winner

Anonymous said...

Hope you have a reat day

betty said...

I bet they made it the elite runner, but I'm off to read your next entry to see how this played out

betty