Friday, November 14, 2008
















I have a book that I read each day. It has little daily stories in it and I loved the one for today so much that I had to call my husband and read it to him. I know I have spoken about my obsession in my blog before so I wanted to share this here also. I swear this sounds like my home.
"Books furnish a room" my wife is fond of saying. A good thing too, because our home threatens to be buried in books. We've got them furnishing every room: the hard covers in the dining room, the paperbacks in the TV room, the books that we intend to read on the floor by our beds, the books that we've read and intend to lend to friends on the cabinet. Every time we get a new shelf, it seems to fill up. First the books fill out rows, then get stacked in double rows and then we start laying books horizontally on top. The only hope for us is our neighborhood's annual book fair. With plesasure, I deliver bags full of used book, all for a worthy cause.
For a couple of days our shelves look neater, our floors have more space on them, the house seems to have a little more air. Then comes the actual day of the book fair. Carol stop by, "just to see what's there." I drop in, "just to check on the prices and maybe run into an old friend." Almost by accident I start looking down the row of books and spot many old friends....and new friends. We don't have a copy of that , i think. Isn't that a nice addition? Haven't I always wanted to read that?
Surreptitiously, quietly, Carol and I gather books-bargins, I tell you, fabulous finds- adn we bring them home, sheepishly, apologetically. They start the journey from bedside table to shelf..............and eventually to next years book fair bag.
Did I tell you all that Mark bought me a new book shelf for my birthday??? Seriously!

10 comments:

Beth said...

LOL! I swear to God, I did not write this! Wow, I sure could have, though. Earlier this summer, I cleared off a bookshelf, demolished Book Mountain (the double pile beside my side of the bed), and loaded up the empty bookshelf. I've already had to start a double row. Ha ha! It's probably time to go through the shelves in the basement and find some to donate to the library, too.

I understand completely.

Love, Beth

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have those stacks of books too. All over the house and I still get more too! 'On Ya'-ma

Bridgett said...

Heck, I asked for a third bookshelf for Christmas! Yes, THIRD. lol

My bookshelves and my home are perfectly described in that entry. Even the double lined, horizontally stacked books. :)

And because I'm out of room, I now have a substantial pile of books stacked all over my bedroom too.

I adore books and reading...such a relaxing, mellowing way to spend my free time.

XOXO

betty said...

how cute! I would be like you but we keep moving and every time we move I downsize the books; enjoy reading! such a lost art these days it seems

betty

Allison said...

That is pretty cool. I like your progression of books. Hope you have a happy weekend immersed in books. Luv ya!

Linda said...

I love reading too, but the true passion is with Marv. He & you sound so much a like....he has those piles everywhere. If any of his stacks look like they may be below 20 books....well, time just stops until we got to Barnes & Nobles to correct that situation!! LOL!

Pooh Hugs,
Linda

Sugar said...

linda need your email addy to send you the 2 tags you requested...not on your profile.

Brandi said...

Sigh, : ( I always say "My fortune is in books" ... I buy too many too ofen.

Bad part is, I NEVER wanna give them away LOL

Sage Ravenwood said...

Your channeling me hon. I was thinking this weekend I need some book shelves for my bedroom. I can have a ton of books to read, yet still want to go to Barnes and Noble to get more. If it's an addiction it's a grand one! (Hugs)Indigo

Gillie said...

Glad to see I am not the only one who has a lot of books (and judging from your comments there are a lot of us out there!).
xx